New site

http://themusicaloutcast.com/

Thursday 9 May 2013

Throwback Thursday: Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come

Yes folks you read that title correctly, I am writing about a Sam Cooke record. But before I get to the song, I’ll explain where it came from. As you know I’m all about power to the people, so this week’s throwback track comes from my good friend Tank aka Adam, aka Bean, aka Bruce, aka Goldstein, aka mighty meat. And those are some of the nicer things people have called him over the years.

Anyway I can promise you he’s alright really, especially after reminding me of this classic. I must admit that when I asked him for a track yesterday I didn’t see this one coming, but something from left field always keeps things interesting.
So, Sam Cooke. Born on 22nd January 1931 he was a pioneer of soul, and you can see his influence all over the likes of Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Bill Withers and so on. This track appeared on the last album he released during his lifetime ‘Aint That Good News’ which was released in 1964.

He was inspired to write the song by hearing Bob Dylan’s ‘ Blowin’ In The Wind’ and the song went on to represent so much to the civil rights movement in 1960’s America. The track was also number 12 on Rolling Stone Magazine’s list of 500 greatest songs of all time.
And it really is that good, so sit back and enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment