New site

http://themusicaloutcast.com/

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Premier League 2013/14 Season Preview

It’s probably not the done thing but I’m going to start this blog off with a moan. Having to write a season preview while the transfer window is still open and so much can change is a bit of a nightmare. This season is going to be hard enough to predict as it is without me having to preview it without knowing who is going to be playing for who.

Now I’ve got that out of the way let’s get to the football. This season is shaping up to be one of the most unpredictable in recent memory. We have new managers at Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Everton. There are new signings aplenty and we’ve got transfer sagas all over the place. But I’m going to start with the defending champions Manchester United.
Here’s something I’ve never typed in a blog… United step into the new season with a new manager, and a great deal of uncertainty surrounding Old Trafford. There haven’t been any major signings, and the main news on the transfer front is that Wayne Rooney apparently wants to leave. My thoughts on this subject are well documented and you can read them here. (http://thesportandmusicblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/why-manchester-united-should-tell-wayne.html) I still think they are a top class central midfielder short, and if I were David Moyes I would break the bank for Modric. I don’t think this season will be the disaster some predict but it will be one of transition, Moyes will need time to settle in and hopefully a few of the youngsters coming through will be given a chance.

The main challengers to United’s crown are going to be Manchester City and Chelsea. Chelsea have the feel good factor back with the return of Mourinho, and on top of that they have a very good squad. They will definitely challenge but personally I think that City are favourites. That’s not exactly a bold statement I know but they have brought well they have a good manager and I really think that they could go all the way.
Next up we have the battle to get into the Champions League, and for me Spurs are in the box seat. They finally have a striker worthy of the name to help Defoe, they have a brilliant manager and have brought incredibly well, Paulinho is a brilliant player and it looks like they are going to keep hold of Bale. But if Madrid offer anything close to the figures reported in the media, then they should rip their hands off. There is no way on this earth Bale is worth close to £80 million. Whisper is quietly but they may even challenge for the title.

Behind them are Arsenal. They really aren’t a bad side but they aren’t brilliant either. They have too many inconsistent performers and as I type this they have signed a grand total of one French teenage striker. Plus I really don’t think that Suarez is the answer, but the problem is that I don’t think there are many other options out there apart from maybe Rooney, but its debateable as to whether he will want to join them.
Now as much as Liverpool annoy me I think they could be on course for a good season and a top four challenge. Brendan Rodgers has one of those faces that you just want to slap but I think he is actually building a decent squad. The summers additions look decent, and Sturridge and Coutinho have the potential to come to the fore. I don’t think the whole Suarez thing will be too much of a distraction, but if he is forced to stay it will be interesting to see what Rodgers does with him.

Elsewhere Everton look set for a season of transition, with a new manager in the shape of Roberto Martinez coming in and trying to implement a new style of play. Moyes was at the club for so long it will inevitably take time for things at the club to settle down and I think they will finish inside the top half but I’m not sure they will be able to challenge for Europe this time around.
At the other end of the table, the promoted teams look set for a struggle but I think at least one of them will survive and I think that will be Cardiff. I like Ian Holloway and I think he is a better manager than he is sometimes given credit for but I think that Palace just don’t have the quality. They are this seasons Reading. Hull much like Palace aren’t blessed with a squad full of amazing players but they have a good manager in the shape of Steve Bruce. He has worked minor miracles at this end of the table before now and I think he will give them a fighting chance but, I can only see it ending in a last day of the season heroic failure.

However as I say the team I think who may stay in the division are Cradiff City. They have splashed the cash and signed some good players, Brayford from Derby is a good player, as are Caulker and Medel. Sadly I can’t claim to know much about new striker Andreas Cornelius but with Malkay Mackay at the helm I think they stand a good chance of defying the drop.
Elsewhere Swansea have assembled a very good squad and I think they could really fight for a European place, but their Europa League campaign this season will be key. I think Aston Villa could surprise a few, they have made some good moves in the transfer market and the young players will continue to improve. Newcastle could hit the ground running now they are free of injuries but on the other hand they could implode. Fulham have so much maverick attacking talent that they will be entertaining if nothing else. I think Norwich have paid over the odds for some of their signings and although I really like Nathan Redmond they may struggle along with Stoke, who I reckon will have sacked new manager by Mark Hughes by Christmas.

The surprise package of the season could well be Sunderland. They have signed a boat load of players and Di Canio has had time to make his mark and there is a real sense of optimism around the club for the first time in years.
I will be doing a season preview in more depth for all of the Midlands teams over the next few days, so keep an eye out for them. But that’s the lot from me for now. At times will hate it, it will drive us mad, it will be a rollercoaster but at 3pm on Saturday we will be thanking God that its back.

No comments:

Post a Comment