New site

http://themusicaloutcast.com/

Thursday 29 August 2013

Throwback Thursday: Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Apologies for the lack of action last week, sadly writing hasn’t been on top of my list of priorities lately. But I will now try and pay you back now by bringing you a fantastic record.

I am a HUGE Black Sabbath fan, I think they are the most underrated band of all time and without doubt one of the greatest bands of all time. They damn near created an entire genre of music by themselves!
I love this record because this is the 1st Sabbath record that I ever heard and once I’d heard it I just wanted to listen to it again and again. As a kid that riff just grabbed me, what a noise!

The track itself is taken from what was until this year the bands only ever number 1 album ‘Paranoid’ released in 1970. But it wasn’t even planned to be on the album at all. The story goes that there was 3 minutes or so of empty space on the recording so the band were asked to go and write something to fill the gap, and the result was the most popular Sabbath track of all time. 
Like much of Sabbath’s material it was in the main written by Geezer Butler and is about depression; in illness he says he had experience of, and if you really listen to the lyrics that really hits home.

It was ranked 250 in Rolling Stone’s list of the 500 greatest songs of all time and frankly it is just an amazing record. And here it is: Black Sabbath with Paranoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment