New site

http://themusicaloutcast.com/

Friday 14 February 2014

The Valentine's Day Conundrum

I know it’s hard to believe but today is Valentine’s Day. Now, many men treat today as way of saying to their partners ‘thanks for putting up with my shit because lord knows I don’t think  could find anyone else who would.’ Of course this is ridiculous; there are hundreds of women who will put up with your shit, just the length of time for which she will do it will vary widely, normally ranging from 30 seconds to 30 years.

I must confess my attitude towards Valentine’s is pretty mixed. On one hand I think it’s great that people will take the time to make their partners feel special and what not. But on the other I think it’s ridiculous that it’s expected that people do that on this specific day of the year. Especially when businesses will use the opportunity to rob you at every turn! Why must it cost twice as much on the 14th of February compared to March 15th to show your love for your girl?!
Anyway my very simple view on things is this. (And this is what I also told my girlfriend by the way) I’ll feel the same about you on the 13th and the 15th as I do on the 14th so what makes that day so special? And right now some guys will be looking at that thinking that that is a very impressive cop out, but it’s true, well it is for me anyway. After all I would like to think that my girlfriend wouldn’t need a ridiculously expensive meal out, surrounded by bored couples trying too hard on ‘date night’ to know that I really quite like her.

BUT… That isn’t to say that today I haven’t sent her a little something. However this has more to do with the fact that like many of the men out there I like to buy the girl in my life things little presents than what day it is. This morning the girl in question received some flowers and fingers crossed she is happy with them and made her smile, but I sent her flowers a couple of months ago for the same reason, it feels good to know your other half is happy. I did this because I wanted to and frankly sending your loved one something on Valentine’s Day especially for old romantics like me is quite a nice thing to do. But my God I could do without the media pressure to do so!
Man alive. Today is the most sexist day of the year bar none. TV adverts basically revolve around this…. Bankrupt yourself by buying a girl something ‘girly’ and she’ll have sex with you. However, in the real world we know that this just aint’ true. Over the years I tried, trust me. Plenty of women I know moan about the gender stereotyping of women but men should really be more vocal about this shit. Men being treated like feckless idiots who need directions on how to buy chocolates for their wives needs to stop!

Right, that’s the ranty bit over and done with. What I have spent the last 500 words trying to say is that today is whatever you want it to be. I know that in my life there will be no champagne, no posh chocolates, no expensive night out. I’m a journalist who also delivers leaflets to make money I’m far from rich folks. But there will be a TV, my girlfriend’s sofa, a takeaway, a bottle of vodka and each other. And you know what? That last bit is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment