New site

http://themusicaloutcast.com/

Thursday 11 April 2013

Throwback Thursday: Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger

It’s Thursday so it’s time for the most un-original feature in the history of blogging. The feature may not have the best title but the songs my friends are pretty fantastic.

It’s at this point I’m going to have to hold my hands up and admit that I didn’t actually pick the song this week. I got as far as deciding that I wanted to use an Oasis song from one of their 1st two albums. So I enlisted someone to do the thinking for me. It seemed only right seen as she is a massive Oasis fan and a bit of a Noel Gallagher disciple. So Abbie… Thank you.  
And that brings us nicely to the song, and what a song. ‘Don’t look back in anger’ is without doubt a classic, even people who have no knowledge of Oasis or even popular music know about this song. Yes the opening piano may bear just a slight resemblance to John Lennon’s ‘Imagine,’ and yes it’s been played to death since it came out, but it’s just a fantastic record.

It’s the 1st Oasis track to feature Noel on lead vocals, and he has also admitted that he has no idea what the song is actually about. But for me this is what makes Noel such a great songwriter. The song may not make sense on paper but everyone knows what it means. And ‘Don’t look back...’ is definitely one of these songs, it can mean anything that you want it to mean. But there is one line in there that people should actually take note of. And that line is as follows... ‘Please don’t put your life in the hands of a rock and roll band, and throw it all away.’ Wise words Mr Gallagher, wise words. Trying to live your life by the words of a song will not end well, trust me on this one.

Anyway I could bore you to tears with info and stories about this track but 1) you don’t want to read it and 2) the football is on in a minute and I want to go and watch it. So for now I bid you fair well. And remember, don’t drink and drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment